Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Second guessing...

I had a parenting moment today that I am already second guessing.  I have a teen in the house.  I can almost hear all of the mom's saying, "oh, you poor thing!"  I actually love having a teenager.  She is quick witted, sometimes too quick.  She is hilarious and very helpful around the house.  (who cares if I have to ask four times)  I thought we were over the hurdle of the disrespect and rudeness, but lately it is back.  I took a stand today and now I am wondering if it was too much.

Yesterday after school she played basketball, piano, her phone....anything and everything besides homework.  The plan was to do homework after soccer practice.  Unfortunately, after soccer practice she had a terrible migraine, came home and went to sleep.  She woke up at 8:30 p.m. still was not feeling well and went back to bed.  We told her to set her alarm for 5:00 a.m. to complete her homework.  I did not wake up with her.  I did not set an alarm.  She is almost 14 and I felt it is her responsibility.  At 7:10 a.m., I went into her room and reminded her we needed to leave at 7:30.  At this point, she showered.  Yep, a teenage girl leaving herself 20 minutes to get ready.  I am certain you know how the rest of the morning proceeded.

Snotty attitude because I told her to get ready too late.  Snotty attitude because she did not finish all of her homework and this was my fault?  It continued into the car and in front of the car pool kids.  On our way to school, she realized she forgot something at home.  We were only down the block, but if I went back for her the other kids would also be late for school.  If she went to school without the item, she would get penalized.

I chose not to take her back home.  I could not go out of my way for her after the attitude I received all morning.  She insisted that we go back to get her assignment and that I drive her to school late when I take the other kids.  (I am using "insisted" loosely)  Unlucky for her, I also car pool for the elementary school kids and my car is full.  I refused to allow her to double buckle.  I gave her the option of walking or waiting until I drop them off and come back to get her.  She chose to wait and subsequently missed her Spanish class.

I am not sure if this was the right choice.  The migraine was not her fault.  She probably had more of an attitude due to the migraine and stress of not doing her homework.  She missed a class.  However, she was so rude this morning and I just needed her to know I will not accept that behavior.  When I dropped her off at school, she thanked me for driving her.  She apologized and gave me the biggest hug and told me she loved me.  I know that attitude and irrational behavior is inevitable for teenagers.  I just want to see less of the bad stuff and more of the awesome teenager that I love and enjoy!!  

      

2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Just found your blog from a comment on 71 toes and I am really enjoying it. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too just read your blog from 71 toes and just my opinion--but I think you did the right thing. So many times (and I have so many friends that I think do this) we rescue our kids from consequences. No, the migraine wasn't her fault--but choosing not to set her alarm and get up was. Someday she will have a job and a boss who will not care she had a migraine last night and won't care about her like you do. These are valuable lesosns learned. My husband has a great saying that I love--"We should protect our children from bad things but not hard things." Don't beat yourself up. I think your daughter absolutely knows that you love her and you want her to learn how to "maneuver life"--thus the hug at the drop off. Thank you for sharing your experience!!

    ReplyDelete